Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Biologics

******I am not a physician or nurse. The following information I obtained while researching Biologics before my Rheum doctor prescribed them for me. I also searched WebMD (links in the blog) for the names of the medications and general information about them.******

Biologic Response Modifiers are more commonly known as Biologics. They are a "newer" way of treating Rheumatoid Disease as well as other Autoimmune Diseases. 

There is not just one available, and not all of them work in the exact same way. The Biologics that have been approved for use in treating RD are:

List from WebMD:
Actemra
Cimzia
Enbrel
Humira
Kineret
Orencia
Remicade
Rituxan
Simponi

Interestingly enough, because of the similarities in AI Diseases, some of the above listed can be used to treat them as well.

According to WebMD, Biologics are made from proteins, genetically-engineered & derived from human genes. What this means is rather than mass targeting the immune system, these pinpoint a specific area.

The two methods to administer Biologics, when the options are available, are injection and infusion. The first is a self-administered shot (weekly or as prescribed), usually in the abdomen or thigh areas and in the comfort of the home. These are generally mail order and pre-filled syringes. The infusions, however, require a visit to the doctor's office, where a nurse administers the medication through IV. The frequency depends on the medication, but roughly every four weeks, the patient returns to the office. 

As with all medications, there are a list of side effects for each of these medicines. One of the biggest, which I find important because I have children, is the increased risk of infections or becoming ill. My RD doctor always advises me to not administer the shot if any of the following are present: Open wounds, current infection, taking antibiotics or if one of my children is taking antibiotics. She also makes sure I receive a flu shot each year, because the flu can land me in the hospital. I also ensure my family receives their flu shots (not mists).

No comments:

Post a Comment