Thursday, July 27, 2017

Stelara

Since I may be put on Stelara, I decided to do a little research. 

Stelara is categorized as an immunosuppressive drug used to treat plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. It has also been approved to help treat Chrohn's disease. - Which will benefit me on multiple levels. Not just the psoriasis, but since Humira also helps with Chrohn's and I have seen an improvement with my digestive issues of the past 24 years, this is possible to continue to help.

This drug is injected, using pre-filled syringes. The difference between Stelara and other biologics is the frequency of the injections. There is a first injection, another four weeks later, than every 12 weeks after that. - This makes me happier. I have had an adverse psychological issue when I have tried to get my injections ready. Now, with the fewer injections I will have to give myself, maybe I will not have that weird issue.

It can be used whether or not the patient is taking Methotrexate. (Which is good for me, since I do take Methotrexate.)

The concerns with Stelara are the same as with any other biologic or DMARD, the risk of infections (bacterial or fungal), contracting a virus, or being susceptible to various cancers, to include skin cancer. - Which means same concerns, different medicine.

All information I found was from the Stelara Information site


No comments:

Post a Comment