Friday, August 11, 2017

A few more holes in my head

I saw the dermatologist on Monday. The infection on my scalp has been cured, thankfully. However, the inflammation from the psoriasis itself has not responded well to the steroid solution. 

I would say I was mildly upset about it, but more disappointed. Even doing things exactly how I am instructed did not help much. As many of you know, who deal with chronic pain/inflammation, the best and quickest way to reduce it is to get steroids. Sometimes they are prescribed pills. Other times, we get injections into the affected area. 

That day was not a, "Let's prescribe a pill and see how it works." type of day. It was a, "We need this fixed and now." type of day. So, I closed my eyes, engaged in conversation, wiggled my toes and dug my fingers into the arms of the chair as the doctor injected my scalp 10-12 times with a steroid.

I will not try to candy coat it, that was probably one of the more painful procedures I have EVER had done in my life. The pain from the injections lasted about 3 days (including the day it happened). It is not for the meek. Definitely not.

Has it helped? Well, my scalp does not feel tight any longer. That is a HUGE difference. I never realized how much we move our scalp throughout the day just by laughing, smiling, crying, and general facial expressions. But that is not the only thing that has benefited from the injection. I have been dealing with swollen lymph nodes around my neck for a few months now. One of the nodes, in particular, I tend to play with, because it is movable. It has reduced in size from a small walnut to the size of the little bean inside a green bean. 

I am waiting for the final authorization to get Stelara shipped. Once it does, I will begin that treatment along with my methotrexate. I am still using the steroid solution on my scalp and the prescribed shampoo. Praying all this will keep my psoriasis in check and my rheumatoid disease at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment