Friday, November 13, 2015

Vectra, RD, and Me

Vectra, RD and Me -- Sounds like the title of a song, but it isn't. It is the title of the next chapter of my RD life.

I saw my rheum yesterday, and received my Vectra results. I am in the "High" category, meaning my disease is very active. I guess it should not have surprised me too much because the past four to six months have not been pleasant. 

The big question: What do we do now?

Along with Methotrexate, I have tried Sulfasalazine, Cimzia, and Orencia so far. Sulfa worked for a while, but my inflammation levels began to increase. Cimizia came out with a free trial period, and it seemed to have not worked, and increased my skin irritation. Orencia worked. It did its job for two years. My rheum said I was fortunate to get to the two and one half years out of the treatment. I cannot do infusion, because my psoriasis flares and sometimes becomes infected. Also, with the children being in school, and loving to share the germs with me, I can't chance the infusion dosage. (No antibiotics while on the medication.)

So, my three choices (which all include continuing the Methotrexate):

1) Enbrel (weekly injection)
2) Humira (bi-weekly injection)
3) Xeljanz (daily pill)

The decision making process:

3) Xeljanz: Still new, side effects are increase in cholesterol and lipids, as well as the "normal" biologic side effects

2) Humira: "Normal" biologic side effects, however bi-weekly, meaning it is almost like the infusion situation. I would have to wait 2 weeks to be treated then 2 weeks after that to start the biologic again.

1) Enbrel: "Normal" biologic side effects, same routine I have now with Orencia.

So, we went with Enbrel as the starting point. Hopefully, if all goes as planned, I start it next Wednesday.

I will try to post more on my progress. I just figured hearing about my pain was just not necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment